What Are Crimped Wire Brushes?
Crimped wire brushes are general-purpose brushes that use flexible wire points to deliver reliable performance in light-duty cleaning applications. These wire brushes comprise filaments of stainless steel, brass or carbon steel arranged in twisted, pinched or wavy wire configurations.
Some primary types of crimped wire brushes include:
- Wheel brushes: Wire wheel brushes provide straight-line cleaning in deburring, polishing, surface finishing, cleaning and paint removal applications.
- Cup brushes: Crimped wire cup brushes have high-density crimped wire filaments and are used for surface preparation, descaling and polishing.
- Twist knot end brushes: These brush types are ideal for performing deburring, polishing, contaminant removal and light-duty cleaning applications in hard-to-reach areas.
Why Use Crimped Wire Brushes?
Due to their crimped wire configurations, wire brushes deliver many significant benefits for users. When you buy Jaz crimped wire brushes online, you’ll experience the many advantages of these innovative abrasives, no matter the brush type.
Crimped brushes can treat a wide range of materials, such as metals, plastic, wood, glass and rubber. That’s why individuals use these abrasive materials in applications ranging from standard to heavy-duty to super-duty, such as:
- Surface preparation.
- Material removal, such as paint, rust, scale, dirt, mold and dust.
Crimped wire brushes are designed with pliable wire points, where each wire stand is separated from one another. These characteristics result in greater brushing flexibility, making it easier for the brushes to reach difficult-to-access areas. Their advanced flexibility also enables them to work on uneven surfaces, letting them facilitate more consistent fine finishing.
Crimped wire wheel and cup brushes comprise rugged, high-quality materials that ensure performance consistency and efficiency. While in use, small bits of the crimped wire fall off the brush, revealing fresh cutting edges to make breaks cleaner. Because of their crimped wire design, these abrasive brushes reduce wire rigidity, breakage and aggression often caused by moving, turning and flexing, while promoting brushing uniformity.
Make the Most of Your Crimped Wire Cup Brushes
Producing high-quality brushing requires more than a dependable wire wheel brush. You must also know the various tips and tricks for crimped wire brush usage.
Maximize your brush’s performance by implementing the following techniques in your next project:
- Use the highest safe speed: Wire brushes perform more effectively when tool speed matches the application demand. That’s why it’s best to use the highest safe speed to ensure faster brushing and a longer brush life.
- Apply the proper pressure: While some individuals may think applying more pressure will result in faster brushing, too much force can cause wires to break, slowing the process and creating safety hazards. Apply minimal pressure to generate the best results.
- Orient the tool correctly: Proper tool orientation is crucial to brushing efficiency. You should hold your tool so that only the tips of the wires contact the work surface — not the sides.
- Rotate periodically: You can maximize cutting performance and increase brush life by periodically switching the wire wheel brush’s direction. These rotations will keep the wires sharp, preventing them from dulling and impacting performance.
- Keep brushes clean: Stainless steel wires come with the risk of creating after-rust on work surfaces due to contamination. You can prevent after-rust by degreasing your stainless steel brushes before operation.
- Store brushes properly: Another way to prevent contamination is by storing your crimped wire cup brushes in a clean, dry place. It’s also helpful to remove and store the brushes in their original packaging or wrap them in plastic to maintain their integrity for longer.
How to Choose a Crimped Wire Brush
Wire brushes are reliable solutions for performing a wide array of brushing applications on various base materials with exceptional results. However, not everyone knows which type of brush is best for their intended application.
Consider the following factors when choosing a crimped wire brush.
1. Wire Type
Crimped wire brushes are available with various wire materials, each designed to treat different workpieces. The one you choose should match your application needs:
- Stainless steel: These brushes are best for working with aluminum, brass, copper, stainless steel and wood.
- Carbon steel: Carbon steel wire brushes are useful for iron, carbon steel and wood materials.
- Brass: Brass wires are highly versatile and can handle practically any workpiece material, from metal to plastic to wood.
2. Wire Diameter
Not all wire diameters are appropriate for all applications. That’s why it’s important to choose the diameter that’s well-suited to your project type. Generally, very fine to fine wires are ideal for light-duty tasks, while medium to coarse wires are better for heavy-duty jobs.
3. Trim Length
Trim length refers to the amount of usable filament on a wire brush. It’s best to choose short, rigid trim for applications requiring faster operation. Longer trim lengths are a great choice for irregular surface applications needing greater flexibility.
Buy Jaz Crimped Wire Brushes Online From National Abrasives, Inc. Today
You can find crimped wire brushes for industrial surface treatment applications at National Abrasives, Inc. Our family-owned and -operated business prides itself on providing customers with competitively priced abrasive solutions that set the standard for quality and performance. We also offer fast shipping, free samples and no-cost shipping for orders of $300 or more.
Fill out a form to get in touch with one of our experts regarding any questions or inquiries you may have!